The Emerald Press

The Student News Site of St. Patrick Catholic School

The Emerald Press

The Emerald Press

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Doris Backes-Delp

The glue that holds the school together!

Mrs. Doris Backes-Delp is the admin assistant of the school, but she also is the person who makes everything work and gets everything going. I asked Mrs. Delp how she would describe her job and she said, “it’s like spinning plates.” I asked her what she meant by that and she said, “I mean that there could be a kid that feels like they’re going to throw up and then there’s, parent dropping off something for their kid, there could be a kid crying saying that he wants to go home and he/she doesn’t feel good.”

Mrs. Delp has been here for 16 years. Mrs. Delp mostly stays in the office, but she does have some different jobs: she used to be the speech team leader, she is the 4H leader, and she helps get together the family folders.

Mrs. Delp has two daughters, Lizz and Hannah. Lizz works as a pharmacist in North Pole, Alaska. And her other daughter Hannah is also a pharmacist at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri.

I asked Mrs. Delp about some of her favorite things. Mrs. Delp’s favorite holiday is Easter. Why? I asked. She said, “Easter is when it starts to get warm, and all of the color starts coming back and it’s just pretty.” Mrs. Delp doesn’t really like reading so I asked her if she had to pick a genre of book, what would it be? She said “strength-finding books.” Mrs. Delp doesn’t really have a favorite movie either, so I asked her what her favorite Christmas movie is. She said a movie that isn’t available to watch any more, The House Without a Christmas Tree. Her favorite part of the school year is when it’s all done with and the beginning of the school year. “I like to get it all wrapped up,” she says.

Mrs. Delp hates cooking and being indoors. She says, “give me a dog and let me go outside.” She has a Golden Retriever named Ruger.

Mrs. Delp plays guitar. She’s played guitar since she was in the 5th grade; she learned by sitting on her kitchen floor and her dad teaching her. When she was 12 years old, she won a talent contest. Mrs. Delp has played many other events such as Loose Creek Picnic, a jam session on Tuesdays, and at mass. She also used to play guitar for the veterans home. Mrs. Delp also plays the piano, although she said she’s out of practice. 

Thank you, Mrs. Delp, for holding this whole school together!