The Emerald Press

The Student News Site of St. Patrick Catholic School

The Emerald Press

The Emerald Press

7th Grade Trip to Shaw Nature Reserve

7th Grade has a hands-on learning experience!

On September 14 – 15 St. Patrick’s 7th grade students took their annual trip to Shaw Nature Reserve with the middle school science teacher, Mrs. Fischer. Every year, the 7th grade students take a trip to Shaw Nature Reserve. While on the trip they learn about ecosystems, bird calls, and participate in a GPS scavenger hunt.

I had the opportunity to interview some of the 7th graders who went on the trip. Trinity W. was one of the many students that I interviewed. I asked her what she liked about Shaw and she said “I liked swimming in the river.” Paul W. said “I liked that Mrs. Fischer let us have a decent amount of free time.”

It sounds like the trip was really fun so far. Speaking of fun, according to Paul W., something funny that happened was the girls banging on the door to the boys cabin at 10:00 p.m.

I also got to speak to students Mason H. and Jackson B. When I asked Jackson B. what activity stood out to him, he said “doing the GPS navigation scavenger hunt.” When I asked Mason H. what activity stood out to him, he said “swimming at Marramac.” 

Paul W. and Trinity W. said that a memory they will never forget is playing hide and seek in the dark.

I asked them what they gained from the experience, and Paul W. said “I learned to actually look around and notice things.”  Trinity W. said “A better connection with my friends.”

This is what the 7th grade Shaw Trip was like this year.